From: Matt Garman <garman@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT: favorite window manager/desktop environ?
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:22:34
1 On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 09:15:26AM -0400, Thomas Kirchner wrote:
2 > This can be a bit daunting, though, so when I was setting it up I
3 > found a fairly good base (taviso's, I believe) and customized the
4 > heck out of it. Now it's perfect for me, and I just can't get rid
5 > of it. I've tried pretty much every other option, but only FVWM
6 > can scratch everyone's exact itch - if they're patient.
7
8 I did a search for "taviso" and found his fvwm2rc file:
9
10 http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/fvwm2rc.html
11
12 There's also a lot of screenshots (and even a video!) of that
13 desktop.
14
15 After starting this thread, I got to playing with enlightenment
16 DR16 (not ready for 17 yet). Despite being known for the eye candy,
17 it (so far) has proven itself to be a great lightweight window
18 manager. Raster (enlightenment author) wrote a simple window
19 manager benchmark program; see the results of some typical window
20 managers here:
21
22 http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=News
23
24 I'd like to see some more window manager benchmarks (because I'm a
25 bit suspicious given that enlightenment had the best results in this
26 benchmark). But I ran the two tests on my machine, and my results
27 were consistent with Raster's. In fact, the two "fastest" window
28 managers I tested were enlightenment DR16 and FVWM.
29
30 I did play with Fvwm for a while, though. And taviso's
31 configuration pretty much proves that *anything* is possible. It
32 just takes so much work to get it looking "nice"! The Fvwm
33 development team might take offense to this, but they could probably
34 improve their "market share" if fvwm looked... different... out of
35 the box.
36
37 Not that market share is really important here, but it's a bit
38 ironic to see all the window managers that have been written, either
39 from scratch or as hacks on FVWM, when FVWM has been able to do
40 pretty much everything for a long time.
41
42 Well, now I'm thinking I need to learn X11 programming, and hack on
43 FVWM or something... another project in my infinitely-long queue of
44 started-but-not-finished projects.
45
46 Matt
49 Matt Garman