From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:54:38
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > and maybe you did exactly the wrong thing. KDE is very modular and
3 > reuses its modules as much as it can. Which also means: memory is only
4 > used once. There were once a very good (in my not so humble opinion.
5 > It think very highly of myself) comparism here:
6 > http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/ (url is dead btw) and if you
7 > actually use kde apps in kde - memory consumption is lower than in
8 > either gnome or 'leightweight' solutions like xfce or
9 > windowmaker+stuff.
10 > http://web.archive.org/web/20071229030604/http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html
14 The biggest thing for me, is just stuff I don't use or ever see me
15 needing. At one point, can't recall version, KDE4 was a bit of a memory
16 hog. It seems they have cleaned that up a lot since tho. Even on my
17 old rig which had 3GBs of ram and KDE3, it wasn't to bad on memory. CPU
18 wise tho, I'd hate to run KDE4 on my old rig. It is just to slow for
19 KDE4.
20
21 Dale
22