From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:32:01
1 Am 30.07.2014 21:48, schrieb Dale:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> Small software can be bloated, large software can be bloat-free. It's all
4 >> about what is useful. "functional" != "bloated", but all too often
5 >> "lightweight", "bloat free" software can also be described as "limited"
6 >> or "functionally challenged".
9 > That is true. Some code can be really small and do a lot. Same can be
10 > said for the opposite.
11 >
12 > Maybe this comparison will work. Small and gets the job done.
13 > Bicycle. Bloated. 18 wheeler truck. If all you want to do is ride a
14 > relatively short distance with no load, bicycle will get the job done.
15 > It won't do well if you want to move 20 tons somewhere tho. The 18
16 > wheeler truck is good if you need to pull 20 tons somewhere but is a bit
17 > bloated if you are just going to ride up the street to see a neighbor.
18 > It's also a bit harder to park too. ;-)
19 >
20 > While to me KDE is bloated, I just try to disable what I can and carry
21 > on. If my system was limited on resources, then I may use something else.
22
23 and maybe you did exactly the wrong thing. KDE is very modular and
24 reuses its modules as much as it can. Which also means: memory is only
25 used once.
26
27 There were once a very good (in my not so humble opinion. It think very
28 highly of myself) comparism here:
29
30 http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/
31 (url is dead btw)
32
33 and if you actually use kde apps in kde - memory consumption is lower
34 than in either gnome or 'leightweight' solutions like xfce or
35 windowmaker+stuff.
36
37 http://web.archive.org/web/20071229030604/http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html