From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 19:48:30
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > Small software can be bloated, large software can be bloat-free. It's all
3 > about what is useful. "functional" != "bloated", but all too often
4 > "lightweight", "bloat free" software can also be described as "limited"
5 > or "functionally challenged".
9 That is true. Some code can be really small and do a lot. Same can be
10 said for the opposite.
11
12 Maybe this comparison will work. Small and gets the job done.
13 Bicycle. Bloated. 18 wheeler truck. If all you want to do is ride a
14 relatively short distance with no load, bicycle will get the job done.
15 It won't do well if you want to move 20 tons somewhere tho. The 18
16 wheeler truck is good if you need to pull 20 tons somewhere but is a bit
17 bloated if you are just going to ride up the street to see a neighbor.
18 It's also a bit harder to park too. ;-)
19
20 While to me KDE is bloated, I just try to disable what I can and carry
21 on. If my system was limited on resources, then I may use something else.
22
23 Dale
24