From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 19:06:01
1 On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:02:11 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > >> YOU have chosen a somewhat minimalist path with your desktop, wisely
4 > >> avoiding "bloat_ware_city"
5 > > Personally, I prefer USE="-hyperbole" :)
6 > >
7 > >> But, to avoid pain do keep some minimal
8 > >> collection of flags. Python is CRITICAL on gentoo, so ask before
9 > >> verging out on Python!
10 > > Bear in mind that USE flags control *optional* features and
11 > > dependencies. Setting USE="-python" will not prevent python being
12 > > installed, nor will it break portage, but it will "de-bloat" those
13 > > packages that come with optional python interfaces and bindings.
14 >
15 > and it might break packages in features in surprising ways.
16 >
17 > People who tell newbies that -* could be used at all, should be flogged.
18 >
19 > In a public place. With video.
20
21 :-)
22
23 > This 'de-bloat' crap - who came up with that?
24
25 I hope you realise I was being ironic there, in responding to a "bloat
26 hater" :)
27
28 > People who use it all the
29 > times seldomly realize that the 'small and unbloated' software they use
30 > is in a lot of cases neither small, nor not bloated.
31
32 Small software can be bloated, large software can be bloat-free. It's all
33 about what is useful. "functional" != "bloated", but all too often
34 "lightweight", "bloat free" software can also be described as "limited"
35 or "functionally challenged".
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 Yeah, but what's the speed of dark?