From: Spidey / Claudio <spideybr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Magic SysRq didn't work today
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:36:33
1 Deleting files were slow as hell too.
2
3 Claudio Roberto França Pereira (a.k.a. Spidey)
4 hardMOB - HTForum - @spideybr
5 Engenharia de Computação - UFES 2006/1
9 On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 08:39, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
10 > On Thursday 29 Sep 2011 04:40:15 Spidey / Claudio wrote:
11 >> I have lived through some lock ups in the recent past, but that's
12 >> because I've disassembled my desktop from it's case and assembled it
13 >> at my working table. Since both PS/2 ports of the mobo are on my mouse
14 >> pad (yeah, short cables, tight space), I eventually pull some cable os
15 >> slap my video card. The first time X.org locked up, but ssh'ing from
16 >> my Maemo phone did the trick (had to disable kexec and reboot from the
17 >> bios, though). The second time I couldn't do that, my video card
18 >> cooler fans stopped, and I had to pull the power plug and wait a few
19 >> moments. That time I thought that some money would be spent on a new
20 >> motherboard or video card. But rest assured, no computer components
21 >> were harmed in those accidents.
22 >>
23 >> Ending the off topic, I had lock downs and headaches when messing with
24 >> reiser4. I'd say that recently built experimental code in the kernel
25 >> is something that would trigger lock ups.
26 >
27 > I was running reiser4 for more than a year and found it rather temperamental
28 > on my hardware (hard lock ups, corrupted fs, etc).  Eventually, I replaced it
29 > with ext4 and have not had problems since.  For me reiser4 seemed to perform
30 > better (as in faster) than ext4, in all but mounting speeds.
31 >
32 > YMMV
33 > --
34 > Regards,