From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Create mutli-file .zip archives from the command line?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:43:46
1 On 13 Jan 2008, at 16:45, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 >>> ...
3 >>> The problem is that fat32 can't handle files that are larger than
4 >>> 4gb-1byte. So, will still be unable to unzip or unrar that iso
5 >>> image.
6 >>
7 >> I believe you're mistaken in the direct cause of my problem. I'm
8 >> using NTFS on the Windows XP machine.
9 >> ...
10 >
11 > Well, that is new info.
12 >
13 > If you are using ntfs then the issue is not the one I suspected.
14
15 Well, it didn't occur to mention NTFS vs FAT32 in my original post
16 because it didn't occur to me that anyone might use FAT32 these days
17 (except for portable devices, of course).
18
19 > ... I'd blame the wireless
20 > connection, but if the problem is only with that file, then that
21 > should
22 > not the be proble either.
23
24 At the time of posting this morning I had no way to say whether or
25 not I could reproduce the problem - this Windows PC gets switched on
26 perhaps once every 3 months, and the original file took so long
27 copying (over two hours yesterday) that I left it running overnight.
28
29 I started another copy going this morning before I made my original
30 post on this subject, and when I come back to the machine this
31 evening it seems to have finished successfully - that is to say the
32 md5sum matches up.
33
34 So I apologise to the list for wasting it's time, but having said
35 that I know I'm going to want to split & recombine files cross-
36 platform again sometime in the future, so I will remember this thread
37 for reference. I won't go through making on line posts saying
38 "thanks! great idea!" in reply to everyone who posted, but I'd like
39 to thank everyone who has replied to my question. (For the record
40 Renat Golubchyk's suggestion of split/copy was top of my list until I
41 read Florian Philipp's reply, which is obviously pretty much exactly
42 what I had in mind in the first place (and therefore requiring no
43 additional thinking, always a priority); I am thankful to Jens for
44 pointing me at portableapps.com)
45
46 Stroller.
47 --