From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Create mutli-file .zip archives from the command line?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:47:49
1 On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:34:01 +0000
2 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > On 13 Jan 2008, at 15:13, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
6 > > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:21:30 +0000 Stroller
7 > > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 > >> What I thought to do was to break the .iso into a multi-part .zip
9 > >> archive, transfer the separate files over to the Windows PC and then
10 > >> unzip them back into the original big file using Explorer's built-in
11 > >
12 > > The problem is that fat32 can't handle files that are larger than
13 > > 4gb-1byte. So, will still be unable to unzip or unrar that iso image.
14 >
15 > I believe you're mistaken in the direct cause of my problem. I'm
16 > using NTFS on the Windows XP machine.
17 >
18 > The file is the same size in bytes (8056211212) on the destination XP
19 > machine as it is on the Samba host, but the md5sums (using Sumemr
20 > Properties under XP) don't match.
21 >
22 > The reason I mentioned 4gb is kinda off-topic here, but I've had
23 > problems in the past running BitTorrent on Linux box, saving files to
24 > a directory which was samba mounted from another Linux box. I assumed
25 > that there was some kind of 4gb limitation of SMB - and a friend
26 > remarked the same problems (using a Mac) - but googling does not seem
27 > to support this.
28
29 Well, that is new info.
30
31 If you are using ntfs then the issue is not the one I suspected. I
32 know nothing about samba+big files, I did never use it with big files,
33 but I haven't hear of such a problem before. I'd blame the wireless
34 connection, but if the problem is only with that file, then that should
35 not the be proble either.
36
37 Anyway, I don't know if the winxp builtin feature supports multi
38 part zip files, so I would bet that using split+copy would be the
39 easiest thing to do. You can still compress it into a single zip file
40 before splitting it, that way you might save some bandwidth (or not,
41 since most of the dvd contents is already compressed via codecs
42 anyway).
45 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>
46 --
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list