From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postgresql 9.5.2 versus Gentoo wiki install instructions?
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 06:27:33
1 On Sunday, May 22, 2016 01:30:32 AM waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 04:41:44AM +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote
3 >
4 > > Quick reply (longer one later)
5 > > 2nd run looks better.
6 > >
7 > > The output is from the supplied scripts. For Gentoo, use the
8 > > /etc/init.d script. That will call the other one where necessary.
9 > >
10 > > About the codepage. What does "eselect locale list" show?
11 > > In other words, which locale do you actually use?
12 >
13 > en_US.iso88591
14 >
15 > [i3][waltdnes][~] eselect locale list
16 > Available targets for the LANG variable:
17 > [1] C
18 > [2] POSIX
19 > [3] en_US
20 > [4] en_US.iso88591 *
21 > [5] en_US.utf8
22 > [ ] (free form)
23 >
24 > I expect to be storing a lot of numeric data in postgresql, but not
25 > much text data, let alone, non-English text data. I live in Toronto,
26 > Canada. ISO8859-1 can handle ASCII (English), and accented Latin-1
27 > characters that exist in Canadian French.
28
29 In order for the configuration to actually be able to configure the database to
30 handle UTF8, you need to run at least UTF8 or a superset.
31 I always run my servers in UTF8.
32
33 If you will not require non-ISO8859-1 characters, you should be ok with your
34 current setup.
37 Joost