From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: recommendation for a router/WAP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 13:33:57
1 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> writes:
2
3 > I have a linksys wrt54G that is acting a little funny.
4 >
5 > Since my new laptop supports 1Gig wired ethernet and the wrt is 100Meg,
6 > I should upgrade even if the "funny" turns out to be just a config error
7 > on my laptop.
8
9 If you talking 100Meg at the internet port... You will not get 1gb
10 there will you?... the 100M is probably plenty good for that.
11
12 If you are talking wired to lan and moving large files in/out of
13 laptop between laptop and lan (not wan [internet]) hosts, then it
14 might matter, but still unless you are cat 6 across the connection and
15 both ends have 1gb capability you still won't get close to 1gb.
16
17 I used a 10/100 router at internet port, but put in a 1gb switch for
18 inter lan, and all lan is 1gb. That's what it would take to see a
19 major difference.. and still not at the internet port.
20
21 (Later I made a serious move from Gary to Atlanta and now have a
22 different setup)
23
24 If this is all old hat to you (and I fear it is) and you really want a
25 new router, I'd suggest the TP-Link WR1043ND. (wan and lan are all
26 1gb). Installing openwrt is a well traveled road and plenty of
27 help available on openwrt (gmane) newsgroup if you should want to do
28 that.
29
30 http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=238&model=TL-WR1042ND#spec
31
32 It cost me $53 and free shipping, because I had it shipped to a nearby
33 walmart for pickup,
34
35 Even without installing openwrt... the factory software is linux and
36 its a heavy hitter workhorse in either case.
37
38 But installing openwrt is pretty easy.. you can do it thru the factory
39 interface in the firmware upgrade options.
40
41 Having the USB2 port might be really nifty to have... I haven't got
42 around to setting that up yet. But I suspect it would really be handy
43 to have a large storage disk on that.