From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kde 4.2.1 sill pulling in 3.5 packages
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:27:17
1 Hello,
2
3 Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
4 kde-4.2.1.
5
6 I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
7 I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
8 (I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)
11 Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]
12
13 I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
14 of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
15 However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
16 time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.
19 Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
20 of kdelibs installed at the same time?
21 My gut tells me NO?
24 What am I missing. Kde-4.2.1 is up and running.
25 Although I have not extensively tested it, I can
26 run konqueror and seamonkey and many other apps.
27 just fine.
28
29 So what I think I need to do (again) is
30
31 Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?
32 (syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)
33
34 emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
35 emerge --depclean -a
36
37 and then watch closely what I emerge?
38 ???
41 obviously confused,
42
43 James