From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kde 4.2.1 sill pulling in 3.5 packages
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:27:17
Hello,

Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
kde-4.2.1.

I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
(I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)

Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]

I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.

Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
of kdelibs installed at the same time?
My gut tells me NO?

What am I missing. Kde-4.2.1 is up and running.
Although I have not extensively tested it, I can
run konqueror and seamonkey and many other apps.
just fine.

So what I think I need to do (again) is

Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?
(syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)

emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
emerge --depclean -a

and then watch closely what I emerge?
???