From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde 4.2.1 sill pulling in 3.5 packages
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:29:33
1 On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Confidence is high that I've mucked_up this upgrade to
5 > kde-4.2.1.
6 >
7 > I was content to leave the system at 3.5.9 and while
8 > I was messing around, I guess I triggered a kde 4.2.1 install
9 > (I had started the upgrade and decide to wait some weeks ago.)
12 > Long story short, I'm now running kde-4.2.1 [OK]
13 >
14 > I moved my world file to a backup so as to avoid all
15 > of those dependency issues. It worked pretty well.
16 > However, now I'm adding the packages back a few at a
17 > time and lots of stuff calls for kdelibs-3.5.9-r1.
20 > Where I'm confused is can I have 2 versions
21 > of kdelibs installed at the same time?
22 > My gut tells me NO?
25 > What am I missing. Kde-4.2.1 is up and running.
26 > Although I have not extensively tested it, I can
27 > run konqueror and seamonkey and many other apps.
28 > just fine.
29 >
30 > So what I think I need to do (again) is
31 >
32 > Mask kdelibs 3.5.x completely?
33 > (syntax suggestions here for package.mask are welcome)
34 >
35 > emerge -C kde-3.5.9* (can I do this?)
36 > emerge --depclean -a
37 >
38 > and then watch closely what I emerge?
39 > ???
42 > obviously confused,
43 >
44 > James
45
46 I have all of KDE4 installed, and no trace of kde3 (including its
47 kdelibs). /Something/ in your world is requiring KDE3 libs still. Find
48 it and unmerge it and you'll be all set. Also check your world file to
49 make sure all of your KDE-related things have slots defined.
50
51 You shouldn't need to mask anything. You can unmerge kdelibs-3xx and
52 then update world with --tree --pretend. If it tries to pull in
53 kdelibs 3 again, you can see which package requires it. Then you can
54 unmerge that package :)