From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] telephony
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:11:27
1 Take a look at a book called "The Future of Telephony" -- its free,
2 but I am not sure where to get it.
3
4 on Wednesday 04/22/2009 Simon(turner25@×××××.com) wrote
5 > hi there,
6 > i'm looking for suggestions and guidance. I have a vps host with
7 > gentoo on it, i dont think the vps is stable enough to ensure a good
8 > quality of service, but it could just need an upgrade, no big deal. I
9 > need a phone and the way i decided to go was to get a connection to
10 > the internet and use voip or similar services.
11 >
12 > I've looked into several ideas, but the last one that remains a good
13 > 'deal' is to set it all up myself, for free (but lots of work)!
14 >
15 > I'm thinking on setting up asterisk, but having read about it in the
16 > past, i know as soon as i set it up it will take more of my time than
17 > my girlfriend ever dreamed of! It seems extremely difficult to setup,
18 > specially for a newbie, I'm wondering if you guys know of a few good
19 > guides (that you have experience with, i can google too) for this and
20 > if you had any suggestion, pointers, starters mostly...
21 >
22 > I've read those, but I'm sure there are a lot of surprises not covered
23 > by these...
24 > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Linux+Gentoo
25 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Asterisk
26 >
27 > Thanks for any help!
28 >
29 > --
30 > When Earth was the only inhabited planet in the Galaxy, it was a
31 > primitive place, militarily speaking. The only weapon they had ever
32 > invented worth mentioning was a crude and inefficient nuclear-reaction
33 > bomb for which they had not even developed the logical defense. -
34 > Asimov
37 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
38 How do
39 you spend it?
40
41 John Covici