From: "A. R." <feoymalo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless Help
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 05:25:21
1 > So, my question is, once I install ndiswrapper and the driver, do I then
2 > follow the wiki for either wireless-tools or (preferred)
3 > wpa-supplicant? Is there anything else I have to do or install?
4 >
5 > Regards,
6 >
7 > Colleen
10 Hello,
11
12 May I suggest that you try first with wireless-tools?
15 Things you need to know:
16 1. The interface id of the wireless card (eth0, eth1, wlan0 etc...)
17 2. The "essid" of the wireless access point you are connecting to.
18 3. The encryption key (if any) for wireless access (WEP)
19
20 Once you have those you can run the following commands (after you have
21 emerged wireless-tools) Using eth1 as the interface for example:
22
23 iwconfig eth1 essid <the essid of the access point>
24 iwconfig eth1 key <the encryption key>
25 dhcpcd eth1
26
27 If this works, then depending on how you want to configure your box
28 you may want to set all this configuration in the file
29 /etc/conf.d/wireless (BTW, please take a look at the file
30 /etc/conf.d/wireless.example, it does have very good comments that
31 would make this very understandable), or you may want to go for
32 wpa_supplicant.
33
34 HTH
35
36 - AR
39 If you stare long enough into an abyss, the abyss will stare back into you...
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list