From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless Help
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:17:20
1 On 7/5/06, A. R. <feoymalo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > > So, my question is, once I install ndiswrapper and the driver, do I then
4 > > follow the wiki for either wireless-tools or (preferred)
5 > > wpa-supplicant? Is there anything else I have to do or install?
6 > >
7 > > Regards,
8 > >
9 > > Colleen
12 > Hello,
13 >
14 > May I suggest that you try first with wireless-tools?
17 > Things you need to know:
18 > 1. The interface id of the wireless card (eth0, eth1, wlan0 etc...)
19 > 2. The "essid" of the wireless access point you are connecting to.
20 > 3. The encryption key (if any) for wireless access (WEP)
21 >
22 > Once you have those you can run the following commands (after you have
23 > emerged wireless-tools) Using eth1 as the interface for example:
24 >
25 > iwconfig eth1 essid <the essid of the access point>
26 > iwconfig eth1 key <the encryption key>
27 > dhcpcd eth1
30 Okay, I emerged ndiswrapper which also emerged wireless-tools. I haven't
31 yet created any configuration files. However, if I run iwconfig, this is
32 what I get:
33
34 localhost ~ # iwconfig
35 lo no wireless extensions.
36
37 eth0 no wireless extensions.
38
39 wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"beam26wireless"
40 Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:13:10:99:9C:BF
41 Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
42 RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
43 Encryption key:off
44 Power Management:off
45 Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-60 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
46 Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
47 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
48
49 So, I assume that eth1 would be replaced by wlan0 in the commands above,
50 correct?
54 If this works, then depending on how you want to configure your box
55 > you may want to set all this configuration in the file
56 > /etc/conf.d/wireless (BTW, please take a look at the file
57 > /etc/conf.d/wireless.example, it does have very good comments that
58 > would make this very understandable), or you may want to go for
59 > wpa_supplicant.
63 Well, I already have wireless-tools on my laptop because it was installed
64 with ndiswrapper. As you note, my access point (a wireless cable/DSL
65 router) is recognized and I realize that there isn't an encryption key set.
66
67 The thing is, I *have* looked at /etc/conf.d/wireless.example and it may as
68 well be hieroglyphics. I don't know which section to alter. Right now, if
69 I'm on my laptop, I want to be able to connect to the access point in my
70 apartment. However, if I'm at someplace that has wireless access, I want to
71 be able to scan for an available network. So, I don't know what section to
72 changed.
73
74 I'm just a user and not a network person, so further help would be
75 appreciated.
78 Regards,
79
80 Colleen