From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: unformat a partition
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:31:55
1 On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:54:33 -0800, Robert Persson wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 16 March 2006 09:15 Nick Smith was like:
4 >> i just accidentally blew away my ntfs partition with the gentoo
5 >> install cd (formatted hda1 instead of hdb1) is there a way to unformat
6 >> if it was just done? like undo the format information? i formatted
7 >> with ext3.
8 >
9 > IMPORTANT: Please don't follow the following advice until you have had a
10 > second opinion from someone else—I think this will work, but I can't swear it
11 > will:
12 >
13 Good advice...
14
15 > Reformat to NTFS and then use a recovery tool. If I remember right, windows
16 > fdisk is pretty insistent on doing a low level format, so you would be safer
17 > using the gnu tool for formatting. I don't know whether the gnu ntfs tools
18 > are up to the recovery job, or whether you need to use something proprietary.
19 >
20 No. fdisk does not formatting at all. It just writes to the partition
21 table. People run fdisk /mbr for example to rewrite the master partition
22 table.
23
24 I still think it may be better to edit the partition table directly and
25 change the filetype of the partition to NTFS: type 0x07.
26
27 Even if cfdisk you can change the type on the fly. Then reboot and see if
28 you can mount it. fdisk is non-destructive to the partition's data. It's
29 the format command where you have to make a choice to do a quick format or
30 a complete one. A quick format does not erase data, but does clean out the
31 fat tables. If that happens, you will have to extract the data manually.
32
33 Try the cfdisk trick first. Then, experiment with some of the myriad
34 Windows tools.
35
36 Remember to make a full image of the partition in question and the
37 partition table before trying these changes so you can go back to square 1
38 if need be.
41 > If you are lucky you may be able to read the old data
42 on the newly
43 > created partition without needing to use a recovery tool (I was able to
44 > do that with a linux partition once—can't remember if it was reiserfs
45 > or ext3), but I would copy all the files somewhere safe in any case
46 > because even very minor corruption could come back to haunt you later
47 > (as many theologians never tire of reminding us). -- Robert Persson
48 >
49 > Conspiracy Bears:
50 > Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...
53 Peter
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list