From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unformat a partition
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:02:33
1 On Thursday 16 March 2006 09:15 Nick Smith was like:
2 > i just accidentally blew away my ntfs partition with the gentoo
3 > install cd (formatted hda1 instead of hdb1) is there a way to unformat
4 > if it was just done? like undo the format information? i formatted
5 > with ext3.
6
7 IMPORTANT: Please don't follow the following advice until you have had a
8 second opinion from someone else—I think this will work, but I can't swear it
9 will:
10
11 Reformat to NTFS and then use a recovery tool. If I remember right, windows
12 fdisk is pretty insistent on doing a low level format, so you would be safer
13 using the gnu tool for formatting. I don't know whether the gnu ntfs tools
14 are up to the recovery job, or whether you need to use something proprietary.
15
16 If you are lucky you may be able to read the old data on the newly created
17 partition without needing to use a recovery tool (I was able to do that with
18 a linux partition once—can't remember if it was reiserfs or ext3), but I
19 would copy all the files somewhere safe in any case because even very minor
20 corruption could come back to haunt you later (as many theologians never tire
21 of reminding us).
22 --
23 Robert Persson
24
25 Conspiracy Bears:
26 Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list