From: Devon Miller <devon.c.miller@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:21:40
1 I ran into this a few days ago. Ah ha, I thought, I just need to update
2 openmotif.
3
4 Nope, openmotif depended on openmotif-config which was blocked by openmotif.
5 I tried unmasking one, the other, then both all to noavail.
6 Finally, in frustation I did emerge unmerge openmotif, emerge openmotif
7 and it just worked (pulling in openmotif-config in the process)
8
9 I for one would like to see portage be a bit smarter about this. It already
10 calculates a dependancy list.
11
12 Would it be possible to detect the case where the blocker is part of the
13 dependancy list (ie, will be installed anyway) and automatically offer to
14 unmerge the conflicting package?
15
16 Or, is this a situation that should be handled with slots? Eg, slot 1 hols
17 openmotif, slot 2 holds openmotif-config & newer openmotif.
18
19 I can't wait to see the hoop jumping xorg-x11-7.0 will require.
20
21 -dcm-