From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:06:38
1 On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:10:38 +0000, Tom Martin wrote:
2
3 > > To the portage developers, how could this be handled? Perhaps emerge
4 > > could somehow figure out the reason for such a conflict, and then
5 > > automatically unmerge the original package?
6
7 > Not really a question to the portage developers -- just unmerge
8 > openmotif (the blocker) and continue as normal.
9
10 If would be nice is portage had a means for developers to handle these
11 types of conflicts in the ebuild. A similar thing happened recently with
12 xpdf/poppler, it happened with some FTP servers and the ftp-base package
13 not long ago. I realise it is not possible to handle all conflicts, but
14 with some instances, like this one, the conflict is expected. even if
15 there were just a means to print a message if a package hits a block,
16 something like
17
18 if_blocked_by('openmotif')
19 ewarn "You must unmerge openmotif before proceeding"
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 I am Tagline of Borg. Prepare to assimilate me.