From: Tom Martin <slarti@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:13:27
1 On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:41:22 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > If would be nice is portage had a means for developers to handle these
5 > types of conflicts in the ebuild. A similar thing happened recently
6 > with xpdf/poppler, it happened with some FTP servers and the ftp-base
7 > package not long ago. I realise it is not possible to handle all
8 > conflicts, but with some instances, like this one, the conflict is
9 > expected. even if there were just a means to print a message if a
10 > package hits a block, something like
11 >
12 > if_blocked_by('openmotif')
13 > ewarn "You must unmerge openmotif before proceeding"
14
15 An error message like that doesn't really tell the user anything that he
16 doesn't already know.
17
18 It would be more useful if some information was provided:
19
20 if blocked_by >=x11-libs/openmotif-1.2.3 ; then
21 eblockinfo "Due to changes with blah, it is recommended that"
22 eblockinfo "you foobar. See http://bugs.gentoo.org/123456."
23 fi
24
25 But then, at what point would this information be echoed to the user?
26 It would have to be during the same pre-merge phase that the blocking
27 errors appear. Then again, I don't really see any gaping problems with
28 the current system; once someone has encountered their first pair of
29 blocking packages, they then understand how to fix blockers in future.
30 I doubt it's worth the effort.
31
32 /shrug
33 --
34 Tom Martin, http://dev.gentoo.org/~slarti
35 AMD64, net-mail, shell-tools, vim, recruiters
36 Gentoo Linux