From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (probably)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:09:01
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 15:05 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've been working all day rearranging furniture in my apartment. I got
5 >> the my computer to its new spot and hooked everything up and booted and
6 >> I saw a message that said something about some kernel option that was
7 >> turned on that shouldn't be, and that udev might not work. When I got
8 >> logged in, I found that Mythtv was all screwed up and that it said I
9 >> didn't have any programs set to record. LiveTV didn't work at all. My
10 >> tv card (dev/video0); ls says it's there, but cat says it's not. When I
11 >> used /etc/init.d/udev I got a message saying that the udev initscript
12 >> only works with baselayout 2 and that I shouldn't use it with baselayout
13 >> 1. I didn't even know I was using baselayout 1! Anyway, is there a
14 >> way, after I've booted the computer, to access those messages shown at
15 >> startup?
18 > I found it in /var/log/messages. It said:
19 >
20 > Nov 23 15:37:07 camille kernel: udev: missing sysfs features; please
21 > update the kernel or disable the kernel's CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED
22 > option; udev may fail to work correctly
23 > Nov 23 15:00:01 camille sudo: michael : TTY=pts/4 ; PWD=/home/michael ;
24 > USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/init.d/udev restart
25 >
26 > I'm rebuilding the kernel with that option disabled, but in the meantime
27 > why did Mythtv forget my programs set to record? I checked that mysql
28 > is running, and it is, I checked mythbacked. The only discrepancy I can
29 > find is the existence of /dev/video0...
33 Question one: You using baselayout 2 or 1?
34
35 I ran into this the other day and I just recompiled a new kernel with
36 the CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED option disabled. It's under the General
37 Setup screen as:
38
39 Create deprecated sysfs layout for older userspace tools
40
41 I'm pretty sure that is it. After you disable that and reboot,
42 everything should go back to normal. I don't have MythTV or anything so
43 I hope everything will go back to normal on that too.
44
45 Hope that helps.
46
47 Dale