From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is an Intel motherboard RAID better or worse than software RAID?
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:42:41
1 On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Wolfgang Liebich
2 <wolfgang.liebich@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 > I'm in the process of setting up a new private computer. I've bought one
5 > with two drives b/c I wanted to setup a RAID system - RAID1 for
6 > important partitions, RAID0 for scratch files maybe.
7 > Additionally I would like to use LVM2 --- on my work PC I've grown to
8 > like the flexibility of that.
9 > The Intel DQ35JO motherboard now supports some kind of mobo based RAID.
10 > Is it better to use this HW raid, or to ignore that and use only the
11 > linux kernel's software RAID.
12 > Additionally the LVM2 utilities seem to have limited mirroring/striping
13 > capabilities of their own - I only want to use RAID levels 0 and 1
14 > anyways -- would LVM's methods be better here?
15
16 Hi,
17
18 I've got 4 regular 500gb SATA drives in a linux software RAID5 (BIOS
19 fakeraid disabled), not using LVM, and with a AES dmcrypt on top of
20 it, and the performance is really good in my opinion. The encrypted
21 RAID has a faster read speed than a single, non-RAID, non-encrypted
22 SATA drive of the same model. Obviously with the encryption & parity
23 calculations the writes are not as fast, but it's still 25 megabytes
24 per second write speed which seems pretty good to me. I have a Core 2
25 E6600 (overclocked to 3ghz).
26
27 The time to rebuild the RAID after a system failure for this 4x500gb
28 is about 90 minutes.
29
30 Good luck,
31 Paul