From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Core Duo Processor - Anyone?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:54:08
1 On 3/29/06, michael@×××××××××××××.com <michael@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Always interesting discussions on this list.
3 >
4 > I have two questions for everyone (not just the person I'm responding
5 > to):
6 >
7 > How soon do you think we'll see laptops with the Dual Core Turion64?
8
9 AMD says the release will be within 4 months or so. I'd expect it
10 within 5-6 months, to see them in enough places to really call them
11 "avaliable."
12
13 > Elsewhere (perhaps on this list on a different topic) someone
14 > recommended not buying anything except for 64 bits (either AMD or Intel)
15 > from now on. Do you agree, in particular regarding laptops?
16
17 Not entirely. Having a 64-bit machine does give some major bonuses.
18 Reliable sources (guys I know who do a lot of benchmarking) tell me
19 that a 64-bit chip will perform ~10% faster than a non-64-bit chip.
20 However, 64-bit chips in laptops aren't that common yet.
21
22 If you're like me, you'll buy a 32-bit laptop just because it's
23 cheaper. However, if you do stuff that would make a 64-bit chip
24 necessary (MatLab, for instance, runs *much* faster in a 64-bit
25 enviornent) then by all means shell out the extra money and get it. I
26 evangalise the greatness of AMD64 technology a lot, but I will NOT
27 tell you to waste your money. If you don't need the speed, DON'T BUY
28 IT! Free enterprise is based on the idea that consumers will buy the
29 best product or the product they need. Buy what you need. If you
30 need a 17" screen, buy it. If you (like me) can't live without
31 ultra-portability, buy it. If you can't live without either... flip
32 a coin : )
36 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
37 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
38 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
39 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
40 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list