From: "Teodor Spæren" <teodor.spam@×××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Ram Problem!
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 15:54:43
1 > From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
2 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ram Problem!
3 > Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:32:54 +0200
4
5 > No surprise here, from what I can see, what's happening is that *emerge*
6 > is running out of memory, it's not a compilation, so -pipe or MAKEOPTS
7 > won't make any difference here. Are you, by any chance, running anything
8 > else on the machine, or maybe you forgot to enable the swap?
9
10 No, I am running a cli only liverescuecd. There is nothing that should take much swap.
11
12 > Even then, unless emerge has changed a lot in the last few years, I
13 > doubt you need that much memory to have emerge copy files to /. But
14 > check the output of "free -m" or something like that to check whether 1)
15 > there's something else using a lot of memory and 2) the swap is
16 > effectiely enabled.
17 Output of free -m:
18 total used free shared buffers cached
19 Mem: 116 41 75 0 2 14
20 -/+ buffers/cache: 23 92
21 Swap: 486 153 332
22 > You can install the vanilla kernel, I think you can even use emerge for
23 > that, but I also think your problem here is with emerge running out of
24 > memory, not gentoo-sources being incompatible. I'd try to fix whatever
25 > the emerge issue is as it will probably prevent you from installing
26 > other packages, and that is effectively a major issue when you want to
27 > use the system.
28 That is my concern. If I get it working with a vanilla kernel, and then booting into the system,
29 emerge do not work, it was all wasted.
30
31 With best regards,
32     - TheRedMood