From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ram Problem!
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 15:36:28
1 On 2012-12-24, Teodor Spæren wrote:
2
3 > Hello!
4 >
5 > I am trying to install gentoo on an old armada m700. The specs that I
6 > think is relevant for this problem is the clocking speed of the cpu
7 > and the ram. It got 223mhz of clocking speed and 116mb ram. I have
8 > added 512mb of swap since I knew the ram was going to be a problem.
9 >
10 > The command I issue is: "emerge gentoo-sources" and the output of the
11 > command is this: http://bpaste.net/raw/66293/
12 >
13 > The only thing I can really read from the error message is that it
14 > runs out of ram. This surprises me because all it is really doing is
15 > moving the kernel sources into place? I asked around in #gentoo on
16 > irc.freenode.net and someone adviced me to turn of "MAKEOPTS="-j2" and
17 > "-pipe", but this doesn't fix it.
18
19 No surprise here, from what I can see, what's happening is that *emerge*
20 is running out of memory, it's not a compilation, so -pipe or MAKEOPTS
21 won't make any difference here. Are you, by any chance, running anything
22 else on the machine, or maybe you forgot to enable the swap?
23
24 Even then, unless emerge has changed a lot in the last few years, I
25 doubt you need that much memory to have emerge copy files to /. But
26 check the output of "free -m" or something like that to check whether 1)
27 there's something else using a lot of memory and 2) the swap is
28 effectiely enabled.
29
30 > The possible work around I have thought of is just getting the vanilla
31 > kernel from kernel.org, but the gentoo wiki advise against it, since
32 > gentoo-sources is a patched kernel.
33
34 You can install the vanilla kernel, I think you can even use emerge for
35 that, but I also think your problem here is with emerge running out of
36 memory, not gentoo-sources being incompatible. I'd try to fix whatever
37 the emerge issue is as it will probably prevent you from installing
38 other packages, and that is effectively a major issue when you want to
39 use the system.
42 > This is my first post to a mailing list, so I hope it is not to bad!
43 > :D
44 >
45 > With best regards,
46 > - TheRedMood