From: Jason Carson <jason@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 32bit->64bit: How?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:47:19
1 Check out this, it should answer most of your questions...
2
3 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#perfup
4
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > My box is a working and fully configured Gentoo system, which is
8 > uptodate.
9 >
10 > For the sake of being able to address more RAM and for more
11 > calculation power (mainly for rendering purposes) I want to
12 > migrate to 64bit.
13 >
14 > I googled for some tutorial but found nothing appropiate (one post
15 > asked for the downtime to be expected while migrating a server --
16 > something which not applies to me...).
17 >
18 > My questions are:
19 > 1) Is there a performance gain, when migrating to 64bit if the
20 > target applications supports 64bit?
21 > 2) Is it possible - if( true ){ how(); } - to """simply"""
22 > "convert" a 32bit system to 64 bit.
23 > "Simply" in my case means: Simpler ways than starting right
24 > from the bare metal of a virgin harddisk and doing the same
25 > stuff I did for the current system again... ;)
26 > 3) Is there some tutorial, which show me the path to go?
27 >
28 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
29 >
30 > Best regards,
31 > mcc