From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dedicated server or cloud server?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:00:05
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 03:24:03PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > >
3 > > Doesn't a good cloud server also have potentially higher availability
4 > > compared to dedicated?
5 >
6 > Potentially? Yes.
7 >
8 > In reality? No.
9 >
10 > It's not the virtualization that breaks, it's all the surrounding
11 > infrastructure, especially Layer 2. You will not believe how fragile
12 > that stuff can get.
13 >
14 > In the old days, a small slip up could isolate a small part of the
15 > network. These days, a small slip-up easily ripples though the entire
16 > network and takes down all of it, and sadly this is not rare. The
17 > networking needs of VMs are radically different from the traditional,
18 > and this is the side-effect: fragility.
19
20 And it happens *every* day, all over the place.
21
22 Yesterday I went to Coburn's Supply to get a box of air filters for our HVAC
23 units. They "couldn't get in". One guy says, "I'm on the internet, don't know
24 what's wrong". The other guy says, "It's _them_ ..." So they couldn't even
25 tell me the price of the filters, or if they had them. So one guy walks in the
26 back and does it the "old fashioned way" -- he just looks. (Reminds me a bit
27 of sneakernet.) By the time he gets back, and tries again, "Hey, it's working
28 now ... quick!"
29
30 Welcome to the cloud. Your packet has reached critical mass. Please reboot.
31 --
32 Happy Penguin Computers >')
33 126 Fenco Drive ( \
34 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^