From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Solved] gtk+ package question
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 18:11:35
1 On 2021.06.01 07:40, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, L, 29.05.2021 kell 16:28, kirjutas Jack:
3 > > I just noticed that the package x11-libs/gtk+ has slots 2 and 3
4 > > (nothing new there) however, it seems that version 4 has a totally
5 > > new package gui-libs/gtk with only slot 0 (no explicit slot listed)
6 > > with currently ~4.2.0 and 4.2.1 versions available.
7 >
8 > They are in SLOT="4"
9 >
10 > > I've done a quick
11 > > search through the announce and dev mailing lists, and not found
12 > > anything relevant.  Is this an intentional switch?  I don't think
13 > > there
14 > > is much yet that uses version 4, but is there any planned migration
15 > > path?
16 >
17 > Yes, this is an intentional plan from me, executed by others that had
18 > the time available for it. There were IRC talks and probably some
19 > comments on the relevant bugs.
20 >
21 > * I consider it too disruptive to package move everything from x11-
22 > libs/gtk+ to gui-libs/gtk, everyone would need to adapt to it in
23 > overlays, etc
24 > * SLOTs are really nothing more than keeping parallel-installable
25 > packages under the same name, instead of having separate packages like
26 > libgtk2, libgtk3, etc
27 > * New parallel-installable version was a good time to make the switch,
28 > with the old slots left behind in x11-libs until they naturally fall
29 > out of use
30 > * It is increasingly less used with X11, and is still in x11-libs due
31 > to the disruption it would cause to move the existing SLOTs (however
32 > gtk2 is really X11-only)
33 > * Upstream renamed the project from GTK+ to GTK in the gtk4
34 > development
35 > phase
36 > * Separate packages are just as well parallel-installable as separate
37 > SLOTs
38 >
39 > So given the above, it felt best to just have the new SLOT under new
40 > package name and not force everyone to do busywork to rename things
41 > for
42 > the old slots.
43 >
44 > Maybe we can move them over in a couple years without extensive
45 > overlay
46 > breakages, when most things are using GTK4, GTK2 has been last rited
47 > and removed and GTK3 is in a similar state of usage like GTK2 is
48 > today,
49 > or just leave it be and have it eventually disappear.
50
51 Mart,
52
53 Thanks for that info - it was exactly what I was looking for. (Also
54 sorry I seem to have missed the slot 4 - I do see it now.) It all
55 makes good sense.
56
57 Minor mini-rant - unfortunately, gtk+:2 is not quite as totally gone as
58 we'd all like. I still have 10 packages on my box requiring it. A few
59 still need it only for building, and some are expecting upgrades to use
60 :3. I suppose the rest are soon for the history bin.
61
62 Jack