From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gtk+ package question
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 11:41:05
1 Ühel kenal päeval, L, 29.05.2021 kell 16:28, kirjutas Jack:
2 > I just noticed that the package x11-libs/gtk+ has slots 2 and 3
3 > (nothing new there) however, it seems that version 4 has a totally
4 > new package gui-libs/gtk with only slot 0 (no explicit slot listed)
5 > with currently ~4.2.0 and 4.2.1 versions available.
6
7 They are in SLOT="4"
8
9 > I've done a quick
10 > search through the announce and dev mailing lists, and not found
11 > anything relevant.  Is this an intentional switch?  I don't think
12 > there
13 > is much yet that uses version 4, but is there any planned migration
14 > path?
15
16 Yes, this is an intentional plan from me, executed by others that had
17 the time available for it. There were IRC talks and probably some
18 comments on the relevant bugs.
19
20 * I consider it too disruptive to package move everything from x11-
21 libs/gtk+ to gui-libs/gtk, everyone would need to adapt to it in
22 overlays, etc
23 * SLOTs are really nothing more than keeping parallel-installable
24 packages under the same name, instead of having separate packages like
25 libgtk2, libgtk3, etc
26 * New parallel-installable version was a good time to make the switch,
27 with the old slots left behind in x11-libs until they naturally fall
28 out of use
29 * It is increasingly less used with X11, and is still in x11-libs due
30 to the disruption it would cause to move the existing SLOTs (however
31 gtk2 is really X11-only)
32 * Upstream renamed the project from GTK+ to GTK in the gtk4 development
33 phase
34 * Separate packages are just as well parallel-installable as separate
35 SLOTs
36
37 So given the above, it felt best to just have the new SLOT under new
38 package name and not force everyone to do busywork to rename things for
39 the old slots.
40
41 Maybe we can move them over in a couple years without extensive overlay
42 breakages, when most things are using GTK4, GTK2 has been last rited
43 and removed and GTK3 is in a similar state of usage like GTK2 is today,
44 or just leave it be and have it eventually disappear.
47 Mart