From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: All sorts of digest verification failures
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 21:49:51
1 On Monday 16 November 2015 17:21:07 Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 >covici@××××××××××.com <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I have thinmanifests=true as specified in some news item or post, I
4 >> think this was a mandatory change some time ago using rsync.
5 >
6 >If you really use rsync/webrsync and not git, this is unlikely:
7 >The file containing this line (metadata/layout.conf) should be
8 >overridden at every rsync (unless you took special measures,
9 >but this was certainly never recommended).
10 >
11 >> They figured the ebuilds sync anyway so no reason for the
12 >> manifests to have them.
13 >
14 >It is not about syncing but about security (checksums with
15 >signatures should safe you from MITM and even compromised
16 >servers). Thin-manifests was only meant for git, because git
17 >already contains checksums ('though only less secure sha1,
18 >but that's a different story), so it was decided that no
19 >duplicate checksums are needed for git.
20 >For *rsync* the situation is different.
21
22 Don't forget that in Gentoo all commits are also GPG signed.
25 Marc Joliet
26 --
27 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
28 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup