From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: All sorts of digest verification failures
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 17:21:30
1 covici@××××××××××.com <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have thinmanifests=true as specified in some news item or post, I
4 > think this was a mandatory change some time ago using rsync.
5
6 If you really use rsync/webrsync and not git, this is unlikely:
7 The file containing this line (metadata/layout.conf) should be
8 overridden at every rsync (unless you took special measures,
9 but this was certainly never recommended).
10
11 > They figured the ebuilds sync anyway so no reason for the
12 > manifests to have them.
13
14 It is not about syncing but about security (checksums with
15 signatures should safe you from MITM and even compromised
16 servers). Thin-manifests was only meant for git, because git
17 already contains checksums ('though only less secure sha1,
18 but that's a different story), so it was decided that no
19 duplicate checksums are needed for git.
20 For *rsync* the situation is different.