From: Jim Burwell <jimb@××××.cc>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 23:24:22
1 On 6/3/2014 16:13, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> [...]
6 >>>> Incidentally, what exactly is wrong with systemd writing a dhcp server &
7 >>>> client, and an ntp client? Is that project prohibited from writing such
8 >>>> software? Are they not allowed to do it? Does it break legal laws? Is
9 >>>> there an NDA or non-compete clause in the mix that I'm not aware of?
10 >>>> Because they are the only things that could stop systemd from writing
11 >>>> such code; without such prohibitions they are free to spend their time
12 >>>> doing whatever they damn well please and if that means yet another dhcp
13 >>>> implementation, so be it.
14 >>> Alan, thanks for succinctly putting why is absurd to complain about
15 >>> someone else's desire to write whatever code she desires to write. And
16 >>> to sharing it to the world! The HORROR!
17 >>>
18 >>> How *DARE* they to release their code? For free!
19 >>>
20 >> Once again, you do not understand the claim.
21 > It is you who does not understand how software workds. See Alan response.
22 >
23 >> If a user of Gentoo chooses to use non systemd profile, it means that
24 >> we need to make sure systemd will not be a valid option, ever.
25 > Again, you don't understand how software works: this has nothing to do
26 > with "profiles", it has to do with the fact that UPower now relies on
27 > systemd, and therefore people who has UPower installed now, *by
28 > default*, require systemd. If they don't want systemd, there is a way
29 > to do it, but it requires manual intervention since they now need to
30 > first uninstall UPower.
31 >
32 >> In this case, if it is to disable the upower USE flag, or to provide
33 >> alternative, block newer version, whatever make it possible to have a
34 >> system working without systemd.
35 > It is provided:
36 >
37 > emerge -C upower
38 > emerge -1v upower-pm-utils
39 >
40 > It has to be done manually, though; otherwise you step on systemd users.
41 >
42 >> systemd should not be visible at any time, nor its implications.
43 > Nobody is here to deal with other people's OCD.
44 >
45 > Regards.
46 FWIW, on my system, I had to mask "sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration"
47 for it to merge the udev update w/o trying to pull in systemd, et al. i
48 didn't deep dive on what was trying to pull that in, but masking it
49 (plus a ton of other stuff I have masked) prevented portage from trying
50 to build a systemd based system.