From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Ralph Seichter <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nameserver lookups fail on virtual server after Kernel upgrade from version 4.9 to 4.12
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:29:32
1 On Monday, 21 August 2017 11:35:44 BST Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > On 21.08.2017 08:08, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > Ah, so silentoldconfig is effectively the same as old config.
4 >
5 > Silentoldconfig is quite a useful make target, since it only asks about
6 > newly introduced kernel options.
7
8 ... and it also takes account of dependencies without asking. The difference
9 between the two is that silentoldconfig does not display any other modules on
10 the screen other than those new entries for which user input is required.
11
12 I prefer oldconfig because it helps me orientate myself down the kernel tree,
13 by looking at modules preceding the new entries.
14 --
15 Regards,
16 Mick