From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: michaelkintzios@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something is pulling in gnome-base
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:27:42
1 On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 11:47:41 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > tomorrow I could end up *having* to install
5 > systemd or whatever RHL and their developers have deemed appropriate
6 > for your average desktop system.
7
8 They don't have control over the dependencies in packages and
9 distributions they don't own though; so, for them to be listed as a
10 dependency goes a long way.
11
12 I think that for most packages in the Portage tree there is a large
13 enough chain of dependencies between the package and systemd such that
14 one can always avoid having to install systemd. But we're not there and
15 I think we will never be there, because systemd is not often listed as
16 a dependency (only on ~2 or so GNOME packages?) compared to something
17 like ncurses that is listed all over the place...
20 With kind regards,
21
22 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
23 Gentoo Developer
24
25 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
26 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
27 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D