From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Handbook as epub
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 18:55:09
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > I'd like to have the Handbook in a format convenient for reading in
4 > ebook readers.
5 >
6 > Now, I know I could take the existing HTML files and convert them, but
7 > I think it'd be nicer if I could get the handbook maintenance scripts
8 > to automate a conversion process, and then I could download the epub.
9 >
10 > Who would I talk to get something like that in the works?
11 >
12 You'd talk to the Documentation project:
13 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/index.xml
14
15 aiui most of the people listed there aren't that active outside their
16 own area; for ages nightmorph had been under a load of pressure, until
17 swift rejoined the project.
18
19 See the bottom of the page for contact details; you'll most likely want to
20 join their mailing list. There's also a link to understanding the pretty
21 simple GuideXML used. (I have to say it's one of the few applications of
22 XML I really like.)
23 >
24 > (I've also got an idea about autogenerating, e.g. Android apps, so
25 > that I could get up-to-date versions of the handbook on my phone and
26 > tablet at all times. But I'd need to learn a bit more before I knew
27 > how to autogenerate that.)
28 >
29 Sounds good :-) If you need help with scripting there's the "Portage &
30 Programming" forum, the gentoo-devhelp ML, #gentoo-dev-help (yes they're
31 hyphenated differently) #bash and #awk, and ofc #friendly-coders on irc
32 server: chat.freenode.net. IRC really is worth getting on to if you're not
33 already online as it's _really_ easy to get expert help quickly (so long as
34 you bear in mind it's all voluntary and shelter from the beasts in a
35 friendly channel;) and practically all the devs are there in various places.
36 --
37 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)