From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow samba transfers from gentoo to gentoo, any way to improve them?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:03:56
1 On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 2:56 AM, App Des <app4des@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have a gentoo server running stable fully updated, and I share a folder
3 > with samba on a gigabit network.
4 >
5 > The client dual boots Gentoo (stable again) and Windows 7.
6 >
7 > Under windows 7, getting a file from the server achieves around 70MB/s
10 It is quite possible that Windows 7 is mis-reporting the transfer
11 speed. To put it in perspective, I would expect around 70-90MB/s from
12 a direct SATA2 connection to a hard disk, so to hear that network
13 transfers on gigabit are going around that speed makes me scratch my
14 head (and a little jealous).
15
16 I can usually expect transfers of around 30-40MB/s from my server.
17 Maybe I'm just used to mediocrity?