From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:06:39
1 On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's describe as a system
3 > similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source.
4 > The main benefit claimed for this approach is that you get
5 > better performance because all executables are optimized for
6 > exactly the right instruction set.
7 >
8 > Where did that bit of apocrypha come from, and why is it
9 > parroted by so many people?
10
11 I've never done any benchmarks on my system of i386 vs core2 or
12 anything like that... I think the fact that gentoo allows you to
13 control compiler flags which can potentially give you speedups is more
14 of it. But, like you, building from source is kind of a side-effect of
15 Gentoo and not the reason why. Compiling for the sake of compiling is
16 just a waste of time, and that's why a lot of people say "Just use
17 Ubuntu" or whatever.
18
19 > AFAICT, the "performance" benefit due to compiler optimization
20 > is practically nil in real-world usage.
21
22 I can't say, but it "feels right" to use things tuned for your
23 specific hardware, even if it's meaningless. And some things like
24 running 64-bit vs 32-bit definitely makes a difference. But,
25 absolutely, the time spent compiling for core2 versus installing a
26 binary package for i586 is never going to be worth it.
27
28 > In my experience the huge benefit of source-based distros such
29 > as Gentoo is elimination of the library dependency-hell that
30 > mires other binary-based distros.
31
32 I agree completely. Portage and the lack of dependency nightmares
33 (usually :) ) is so nice. Things like live SVN ebuilds are so simple
34 to maintain, rather than building binary snapshots etc.
35
36 I'm a 4-year or so Gentoo user, and have donated money, and using
37 redhat at work is always a nightmare when I'm used to the flexibility
38 of Gentoo :)