From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:09:11
1 El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 0:06, Paul Hartman escribió:
2 > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's describe as a system
5 >> similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source. The main
6 >> benefit claimed for this approach is that you get better performance
7 >> because all executables are optimized for exactly the right instruction
8 >> set.
9 >>
10 >> Where did that bit of apocrypha come from, and why is it
11 >> parroted by so many people?
12 >
13 > I've never done any benchmarks on my system of i386 vs core2 or
14 > anything like that... I think the fact that gentoo allows you to control
15 > compiler flags which can potentially give you speedups is more of it. But,
16 > like you, building from source is kind of a side-effect of Gentoo and not
17 > the reason why. Compiling for the sake of compiling is just a waste of
18 > time, and that's why a lot of people say "Just use Ubuntu" or whatever.
19
20 Not really. Compiling the things gives you control over what
21 dependencies will that package have. In a binary distro mplayer
22 will usually push like 80 or 800 (I never counted them) packages
23 due to the number of features that it potentially has.
24
25 If you don't install those, then the ldd info of the binary is
26 broken because it can't find the needed object files outside of
27 mplayer.
28
29 Compiling the packages allow you to tune CFLAGS, ok. But even if
30 you think that -most times- this doesn't make a difference, it's
31 still worth the trouble compiling it, if only for the sake of
32 mplayer not having to depend on 200MB of additional software for it
33 to install correctly.
34
35 In gentoo, this is as easy as to set your use flags up, and then
36 emerge. Easy as hell, and you don't have to go ./configure'ing
37 with a dozen parameters every single package in your system,
38 because portage takes cares of that.
39
40 I absolutely don't care much about the CFLAGS stuff, I just set
41 up my -march and forget about it for years. And I think that
42 there's a lot of point in using GEntoo, even if you have zero
43 interest in compiling sofware there're still a lot of reasons
44 why I would use Gentoo over any other Linux.
48 Jesús Guerrero