From: "Sebastián Magrí" <sebasmagri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:46:25
1 El mié, 04-02-2009 a las 11:09 +0100, Jesús Guerrero escribió:
5 > El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 0:06, Paul Hartman escribió:
6 > > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's describe as a system
9 > >> similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source. The main
10 > >> benefit claimed for this approach is that you get better performance
11 > >> because all executables are optimized for exactly the right instruction
12 > >> set.
13 > >>
14 > >> Where did that bit of apocrypha come from, and why is it
15 > >> parroted by so many people?
16 > >
17 > > I've never done any benchmarks on my system of i386 vs core2 or
18 > > anything like that... I think the fact that gentoo allows you to control
19 > > compiler flags which can potentially give you speedups is more of it. But,
20 > > like you, building from source is kind of a side-effect of Gentoo and not
21 > > the reason why. Compiling for the sake of compiling is just a waste of
22 > > time, and that's why a lot of people say "Just use Ubuntu" or whatever.
23 >
24 > Not really. Compiling the things gives you control over what
25 > dependencies will that package have. In a binary distro mplayer
26 > will usually push like 80 or 800 (I never counted them) packages
27 > due to the number of features that it potentially has.
28 >
29 > If you don't install those, then the ldd info of the binary is
30 > broken because it can't find the needed object files outside of
31 > mplayer.
32 >
33 > Compiling the packages allow you to tune CFLAGS, ok. But even if
34 > you think that -most times- this doesn't make a difference, it's
35 > still worth the trouble compiling it, if only for the sake of
36 > mplayer not having to depend on 200MB of additional software for it
37 > to install correctly.
38 >
39 > In gentoo, this is as easy as to set your use flags up, and then
40 > emerge. Easy as hell, and you don't have to go ./configure'ing
41 > with a dozen parameters every single package in your system,
42 > because portage takes cares of that.
43 >
44 > I absolutely don't care much about the CFLAGS stuff, I just set
45 > up my -march and forget about it for years. And I think that
46 > there's a lot of point in using GEntoo, even if you have zero
47 > interest in compiling sofware there're still a lot of reasons
48 > why I would use Gentoo over any other Linux.
52 Also, Gentoo is a great school. If you want to learn how a Linux system
53 works, and really want to learn about Unix systems, then Gentoo is the
54 best for you. The huge knowledge base is one of the things that make
55 Gentoo as good as it is, and left the users without excuses when they
56 break the system.
57
58 With the power of the CPUs growing every day, the -long time compiling-
59 idea is becoming irrelevant, this way, I see more benefits on continue
60 using mi beloved Gentoo and feel users have less excuses to continue
61 using other distros, but, they are free of choosing, I choose Gentoo
62 because Gentoo lets me choose...