From: Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cups/Sane and The Brother MFC-7420
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:04:19
1 Did you try emergeing foomatic-db w/ USE="ppds" ?
2 there are a bunch of Brother ppds in there.
3
4 On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 16:08 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
5 > I recently bought a Brother MFC-7420 and I'm trying to get it to work with
6 > my gentoo linux system.
7 >
8 > Brother provides a lpr driver, a sane driver, and a cupswrapper driver,
9 > none of which I can get to work. I have successfully converted the
10 > provided .deb / .rpm packages to tar.gz and extracted them, looked at the
11 > install/configure shell prints, extracted the fliters and ppds (for
12 > printer drivers) and put them in the right place, or at least what I
13 > believe to be the right place.
14 >
15 > Unfortunately, when trying to configure kprinter, as root, I get an error
16 > to the effect of Invalid Format when trying to read the ppd.
17 >
18 > Does anyone have experience with this printer, or any of the brother
19 > printers (they seem to have a mostly unified interface) on gentoo? I'd
20 > have to have to switch to debian just to get this to work. ;)
21 >
22 > Also, what information would be helpful for any that want to help me
23 > troubleshoot this? This has been stymieing me for a week, and I'd really
24 > like to get it fixed ASAP (I have having to go to kinkos to print).
25 >
26 > --
27 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
28 > bss03@××××××××××.com
29 > ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
30 --
31 Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com> | LRU: 400755 http://counter.li.org
32 lares/irc.freenode.net |
33 Gentoo x86 Arch Tester | ::0 Alberta, Canada
34 Public Key: 0D46BB6E @ subkeys.pgp.net | Encrypted Mail Preferred
35 Key fingerprint = 0CA3 E40D F897 7709 3628 C5D4 7D94 483E 0D46 BB6E