From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Cups/Sane and The Brother MFC-7420
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:12:23
1 I recently bought a Brother MFC-7420 and I'm trying to get it to work with
2 my gentoo linux system.
3
4 Brother provides a lpr driver, a sane driver, and a cupswrapper driver,
5 none of which I can get to work. I have successfully converted the
6 provided .deb / .rpm packages to tar.gz and extracted them, looked at the
7 install/configure shell prints, extracted the fliters and ppds (for
8 printer drivers) and put them in the right place, or at least what I
9 believe to be the right place.
10
11 Unfortunately, when trying to configure kprinter, as root, I get an error
12 to the effect of Invalid Format when trying to read the ppd.
13
14 Does anyone have experience with this printer, or any of the brother
15 printers (they seem to have a mostly unified interface) on gentoo? I'd
16 have to have to switch to debian just to get this to work. ;)
17
18 Also, what information would be helpful for any that want to help me
19 troubleshoot this? This has been stymieing me for a week, and I'd really
20 like to get it fixed ASAP (I have having to go to kinkos to print).
23 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
24 bss03@××××××××××.com
25 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
26 --