From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Connecting a network printer
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:27:20
1 On 2022.01.12 11:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I have a Lexmark C2425 colour laser, which used to be detected
5 > automatically
6 > but now isn't. I can connect it over USB, but I'd like to use IPP or
7 > HTTP.
8 >
9 > This is a stable amd64 box, and CUPS is installed thus:
10 > net-print/cups-2.3.3_p2-r3::gentoo USE="X acl dbus pam ssl threads
11 > usb
12 > zeroconf -debug -kerberos (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -xinetd"
13 > ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
14 >
15 > Two questions:
16 >
17 > 1. What else do I need to do for the printer to be detectable?
18 > 2. The guides I've found say I can set it up manually with
19 > ipp://hostname/
20 > printers/printername. What is 'printername'? Is it just arbitrary?
21 >
22 > Clues, anyone?
23 What do you mean by isn't detected? Do you mean the Cups add printer
24 page doesn't show it? If so, are you sure it's actually on the
25 network? Is it wired or wifi? Does your router show a page/list of
26 connected devices? If it's present, try pointing a web browser at it's
27 IP address to review it's internal configuration (just on principle, I
28 can't suggests anything specific to look for.) If it's not connected
29 to the network, might it have a fixed IP from an older configuration?
30 I don't know if you can configure it's network settings over the USB
31 connection - if not, it might take a factory reset for it to use DHCP.
32 It might also have a network config report you can print by some
33 combination of buttons on the control panel.
34
35 Jack