From: Wade Brown <wanderer.wcb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT: favorite window manager/desktop environ?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 22:42:17
1 I suppose to make this thread complete I'll be the first (maybe only?) one
2 to voice support for good old WindowMaker. I think the biggest reason I
3 still use it is that I'm just stuck in a rut, I have been running it for
4 ages and have never wanted anything better. It's definitely light weight
5 enough to suit most needs for people who have that desire, theming exists,
6 but no actual skinning support. It's a bit boxier than most so for eyecandy,
7 it's not stellar, but has a simple clean feel to it.
8
9 I think my favorite feature is the dockapps (check
10 http://www.bensinclair.com/dockapp/ for examples), which I know are clearly
11 portable, but integrate most cleanly into WindowMaker. These can provide
12 that desired eyecandy, such as wmBlob, or simple controls to your favorite
13 programs, like wmXMMS. With adjustable icon width, these can take up almost
14 no space around your edges leaving plenty of real estate for your web
15 browsers and such. Better still, they don't even have to be reserved space,
16 they can just fade into the background. One extra bonus to XFCE users is
17 WindowMaker works fairly well with that on top, not that I use it, but I've
18 known a few people who do because they like the added functionality.
19
20 I'm sure none of my reasons justify WindowMaker as the best choice for my
21 desires, but like I said, I'm in a rut, and it's quite comfortable. Maybe
22 when the bedsores start popping up I'll come back to this thread...
25 Wade Brown
26