From: Matthias Bethke <Matthias.Bethke@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT: favorite window manager/desktop environ?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 22:01:46
1 Hi Matt,
2 on Wednesday, 2005-08-31 at 17:28:21, you wrote:
3 > Anyway, I was just hoping to start a "pub"-style conversation on
4 > what people like/disklike in a window manager.
5
6 It's been XFCE here for a while. When I ran NetBSD years ago, nothing
7 but fvwm would run at decent speed (not that there had been much
8 choice), so I used this for a while. Then it was Linux/KDE for a while
9 on a 486, which was quite a pain. When I discovered Gnome, I liked the
10 clean look of GTK and its speed. Version 2 annoyed me because everything
11 got fatter and had less features than the 1.x version, but I stuck with
12 it out of inertia, it was well configured and all...
13 XFCE is for me what Gnome used to be: slim and fast, a clean look and
14 just as many knobs to tweak as I need but no more.
15 Now, WMII looks interesting as well. Unlikely I'm going to switch but
16 I'll have a look at it.
17
18 cheers!
19 Matthias
22 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: 90CF8389
23 Fingerprint: 8E 1F 10 81 A4 66 29 46 B9 8A B9 E2 09 9F 3B 91