From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 15:46:01
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
3 > Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 21:45
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
6 >
7 > On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 18:36:51 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
8 > > On 17 June 2020 18:52:49 CEST, Raffaele BELARDI
9 > > <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
10 > wrote:
11 > > >Hello,
12 > > >
13 > > >I might need to build and run an old 3.x kernel on a Desktop PC for
14 > > >some very specific tests. Would Gentoo be a good solution?
15 > > >I see that currently gentoo-sources only includes 4.x and 5.x sources.
16 > > >
17 > > >Thanks,
18 > > >
19 > > >raffaele
20 > >
21 > > Not entirely certain userspace will be supported, but it shouldn't be
22 > > too difficult to test.
23 > >
24 > > --
25 > > Joost
26 >
27 > Have a look here:
28 >
29 > https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-
30 > kernel/gentoo-sources/?hideattic=0
31 >
32 > However, unless you replicate a system from back then you will be trying to
33 > build old sources with a new toolchain. Perhaps it would be easier to fetch
34
35 Yes, that is my main worry. I guess there is no way to tell unless you try.
36
37 > an old minimal CD with a 3 series kernel, or for a ready made OS and kernel
38 > into one, see if you can dig out some older Debian release?