From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] the origins of Unix
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:20:58
1 On Friday 26 November 2010 14:32:58 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > One could ask the question "where did the first assembler come from?"
4 >
5 > Just as the first OSes and compilers were written in assembler to
6 > bootstrap C, so the first assemblers were written in hex codes to
7 > bootstrap the assembler. But hex code editors ran software, so where
8 > did the first hex code input gadget come from?
9 >
10 > And the answer to that is that it was written in binary. Yes that's
11 > right - a panel with 16 toggle switches and a few pushbuttons. Those
12 > didn't require software as everything was implemented in hardware.
13
14 Except that in my case it was 24 switches, not 16 (this was a dedicated
15 process-control computer for nuclear-powered ships and power stations,
16 35 years ago). And I sometimes had to make individual holes in the paper
17 tape to "write" or change the code.
20 Rgds
21 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.