From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] the origins of Unix
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 07:44:58
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 17:18 on Friday 26 November 2010, Peter
2 Humphrey did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Friday 26 November 2010 14:32:58 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > One could ask the question "where did the first assembler come from?"
6 > >
7 > > Just as the first OSes and compilers were written in assembler to
8 > > bootstrap C, so the first assemblers were written in hex codes to
9 > > bootstrap the assembler. But hex code editors ran software, so where
10 > > did the first hex code input gadget come from?
11 > >
12 > > And the answer to that is that it was written in binary. Yes that's
13 > > right - a panel with 16 toggle switches and a few pushbuttons. Those
14 > > didn't require software as everything was implemented in hardware.
15 >
16 > Except that in my case it was 24 switches, not 16 (this was a dedicated
17 > process-control computer for nuclear-powered ships and power stations,
18 > 35 years ago). And I sometimes had to make individual holes in the paper
19 > tape to "write" or change the code.
22 Ah, you were fortunate to work on the big boys. I only had the little ones
23 around.
24
25 My first job as an adult was ancient Burroughs banking terminals that loaded
26 software with the same paper tape, I remember those days well. I never want to
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com