From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting vanilla kernel 4.1.x
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 22:16:00
1 On Sunday, August 30, 2015 6:11:00 PM Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On Sunday, August 30, 2015 10:51:57 PM Peter Weilbacher wrote:
3 > > Hi Fernando,
4 > >
5 > > On Sun, 30 Aug 2015, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > 1. Add loglevel=7 to your kernel parameters and see what it prints
8 before
9 > it
10 > > > hangs.
11 > >
12 > > That helped, it showed me something about drm, so...
13 > >
14 > > > 3. From your kernel parameters I assume you're using the radeon free
15 > driver
16 > > > right? If that's the case disable it (don't compile it in or just delete
17 > the
18 > > > module) and try to boot wiith a framebuffer.
19 > >
20 > > ... this was a good suggestion. Switching off DRM/Radeon gets me a
21 > > kernel that boots. However, with that config I cannot run X (which then
22 > > complains about missing kernel mode switching). If I follow
23 > > wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#Kernel_modesetting I again arrive at the
24 > > kernel settings that I previously had and which didn't work with 4.1.x.
25 > >
26 > > Any more suggestions?
27 > > Peter.
30 > At least you norrowed down, that was the idea.
31 > I would suspect a new bug, so post to the radeon mailing list. Doing the git
32 > bisect first will make it easier for them so they'll be more willing to help.
33 I
34 > would try booting without those radeon paremeters first.
35 >
36 > You could try the proprietary driver but the one in the portage tree will
37 not
38 > build with a kernel >3.18.19 but if you search b.g.o there are patches to
39 make
40 > it build. Or you could try my ebuild but I'm not sure that it will build
41 > either since I'm using 3.18.20 now:
42 >
43 > https://github.com/fernando-rodriguez/portage-overlay/tree/master/x11-drivers/ati-drivers
44
45 And you should still try suggestion #2 because it's very likely to only affect
46 one specific configuration.
49 Fernando Rodriguez