From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting vanilla kernel 4.1.x
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 22:11:58
1 On Sunday, August 30, 2015 10:51:57 PM Peter Weilbacher wrote:
2 > Hi Fernando,
3 >
4 > On Sun, 30 Aug 2015, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
5 >
6 > > 1. Add loglevel=7 to your kernel parameters and see what it prints before
7 it
8 > > hangs.
9 >
10 > That helped, it showed me something about drm, so...
11 >
12 > > 3. From your kernel parameters I assume you're using the radeon free
13 driver
14 > > right? If that's the case disable it (don't compile it in or just delete
15 the
16 > > module) and try to boot wiith a framebuffer.
17 >
18 > ... this was a good suggestion. Switching off DRM/Radeon gets me a
19 > kernel that boots. However, with that config I cannot run X (which then
20 > complains about missing kernel mode switching). If I follow
21 > wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#Kernel_modesetting I again arrive at the
22 > kernel settings that I previously had and which didn't work with 4.1.x.
23 >
24 > Any more suggestions?
25 > Peter.
28 At least you norrowed down, that was the idea.
29 I would suspect a new bug, so post to the radeon mailing list. Doing the git
30 bisect first will make it easier for them so they'll be more willing to help. I
31 would try booting without those radeon paremeters first.
32
33 You could try the proprietary driver but the one in the portage tree will not
34 build with a kernel >3.18.19 but if you search b.g.o there are patches to make
35 it build. Or you could try my ebuild but I'm not sure that it will build
36 either since I'm using 3.18.20 now:
37
38 https://github.com/fernando-rodriguez/portage-overlay/tree/master/x11-drivers/ati-drivers
42 Fernando Rodriguez