From: Holger Hoffstaette <holger@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Filenames with "special" characters (äöü€¶) on SMB share of Linkstation HD-HLAN250
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:25:19
1 On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:59:24 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > I've got a Buffalo Linkstation HD-HLAN250. This is a consumer NAS device,
4 > which makes the built-in HD accessible via SMB and FTP. On that system,
5 > some sort of Linux with some sort of Samba is running.
6 >
7 > I'm now trying to create filenames with special characters (ie. non-ASCII
8 > chars) in it. For example "blöder name" (means "stupid name").
9 > ...
10 > In the Basic Setup of the LS, I set ISO8859-15 as the character code. I
11
12 I have the following in my smb.conf:
13
14 unix charset = ISO8859-15
15
16 and Umlauts work correctly either way (Linux <-> XP), but then again I
17 have a relatively new samba version (3.0.20). Samba has several different
18 charset and encoding options; if your storage device does not allow
19 changing arbitrary parameters you're most likely out of luck.
20
21 Holger
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list